Friday, April 27, 2012

Quilting Shattered

Shattered is a recreation of one of the quilts from Katie and Jacquie's amazing new book, Quilting Modern which has just been released.
Katie made this version and had me quilt it before the release so I wasn't able to share it just yet.



 Following the lead of how  Angela quilted the original and tweaking it a bit I think it came out stunning.
As you can see there are a lot of straight line echoes, I did some freehand but it is very easy to Bobble freehand diagonals...So, meet my beloved IQ:




This quilt was quilted about 25% freehand with rulers and 75%IQ. This doesn't mean that I was able to just walk away and let Einstein do all the work. No sir. I plugged in every point I wanted the needle to hit and the IQ calculated straight lines between those points...IQ also stitched very straight lines,even diagonal straight lines.
Have I mentioned how much I love my IQ?
Anyone with an IQ who is curious, I used Line pattern, marking the quilt manually.
I'm quite sure there is an easier/faster way,  an echo path maybe? But I like the organic feel of this approach.









Katie used AMH velveteen on the back and she describes it like butter....agreed.

If you don't know Katie, please check out her blog here:
sewkatiedid.wordpress.com/

And if you haven't grabbed a copy of the book yet:

 




















Quilting Modern



Do! 
You will be delighted that you did.

I promise.

12 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm stunned!! It's fabulous, absolutely fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy you have a blog! Yahoo! IQ sounds glorious. Sadly I don't think it can be added to my old girl. I do love all those straight lines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you Tia! I feel like the tin man is getting old and he isn't even six yet. Technology just keeps moving. with or without us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Cindy but it is touch screen as opposed to a keyboard. It is also a few k cheaper. It is more intuitive for someone like myself who is pc challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the magic you worked here, Krista!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. I love how there are smaller geometric shapes within each large red and white section,instead of just one echo filling each section (know what I mean jelly bean?). Love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, simply fantastic! It might be a machine, but it takes a brain to decide what to do in the first place! You did a marvelous job! I "ditto" Poppyprint's comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool quilt! I've never heard of IQ quilting -- is this a longarm machine, or software that runs on a longarm machine, or some combination of both? I'm currently trying to quilt an enormous quilt on a domestic sewing machine, but had to walk away before I threw the machine out the window. ;-)

    Is the Quilting Modern book just for longarm quilters, or are a variety of methods addressed?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilting is fabulous! I really like your examples of modern quilting. I recently received the Quilting Modern book, and I agree is an awesome book that showcases modern quilts, but the quilting is amazing! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete