Monday, April 23, 2012

Sew Out Loud Quilt Along- Sew La Tea


Welcome to week 11 of the Sew Out Loud Quilt Along! My block is called "Sew La Tea"-- can't you just hear the Von Trapp family singing a bit of "Do Re Mi" right now? The design features three whimsical spool teacups, on the verge of tumbling out of their stack.



It's a lot of fun choosing fabrics for each cup. A tip-- make sure to choose contrasting fabrics for your spools and tea cups so the design will really stand out! You can fussy cut your fabrics for the inside of the spools. I've also made a version that has free-pieced background sections. If you want to learn more about how to do free-piecing in your block, I'd recommend Sarah and Molly's Free Piecing Study.



Start by downloading and printing the templates here and full piecing diagram here. Remember that the templates are a mirror image of the block itself (see below), so that when you're finished sewing, you end up with with what you see in my completed examples.



Sew the pieces together in this order:

{(I+Q+H) +X+N+T+A} purple cup (part 1)

{(F+P+G)+B+S+M+V}green cup (part 2)

{(C+O+D)+E+R+U}orange cup (part 3)

Part 1+2+3+J+K


Don't forget to add your blocks to our Sew Out Loud Flickr group. Thank you to Kyrie (Shape Moth) for creating these templates for me in EQ7. And another big thanks to the Fat Quarter Shop for sponsoring this Quilt Along! And to you K3 my friend for helping me get this posted with links and everything.

12 comments:

  1. woot woot woot you have a blog!! And this block is just amazing. XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your new blog Krista!! What a fun and quirky block, I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies!!!!!! I'm excited but nervous, I am very computer challenged so I hope it won't be a disaster!! Thanking my lucky stars for all of the help I've gotten fromK3!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the improv and free look of your block!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore this block and can hardly wait to get started on it!
    I also just realized you are THAT Krista! The genius who quilted Sonja's Halloween Quilt of Awesomeness! Her posted photos are amazing and I'm sure it's even more fantastic in person!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a super block! And what cute little bobbins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Krista!! So excited to see you finally have a blog. Your quilting is amazing as ever, I'm still planning my longarm foray and hope to be quilting like you one day soon :) Danielle x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tottering teacups! Welcome to blogland!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Krista! Welcome to blogland! I'm techy challenged and get pretty frustrated with blogger, but it's just as fun too. I was led here by Lynne (Lily's Quilts). I've been following you on flickr, so I knew I wanted to follow your blog as well. These spools/teacups are so adorable! And how generous of you to offer your pattern to us. Gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Krista
    I have popped over from Lily's Quilts to visit. I am in awe of your quilting. I hope to quilt like you one day.I have joined your bog. Will be following with interest. I too have a quilting blog.
    Cheers
    Linda Taupo New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH BOY! What fun! I'm definitely adding this one to my To-Sew list!!! Thanks Krista!

    ReplyDelete